Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Falling. Falling. Fallen.(FICTION)

I'm only 15. My mother says I'm too young to fall in love. My little brother thinks its worse than puke.
I didn't know what love is. Never experienced it first hand. My best friend told me it was this jump in your stomach when that special someone walks by. But how could love be something so temporary as a jolt in your stomach? I didn't think it was possible. I had so many ideas on love from different people.
I have always been a seer not a doer. I always wanted to know what the consequences were before I did something. Tina Aunty told me love was unpredictable. I didn't want to get involved in anything that could be aptly described as unpredictable. I am too safe for that. Wait, let me rephrase that. I was to safe for that.
I was until I met him. He just came into my life like a whirlwind first knocking me off my feet and then catching me before I hit the ground. All he said was 'Hi'. But it made my heart skip beats. He walked beside me and I grew conscious whether my hair was looking ok, if I'm not smiling too dorky(which I'm sure I was) etc, etc..
I didn't think he noticed anyway, but I still took the time off to look good. I thought up reasons to call him. And after keeping all this inside me for a month, I told my best friend. "oh my God, Mari you've fallen in love!!" she said.
I wouldn't accept it. I couldn't fall in love. I stopped talking to him. I stopped trying to impress him. I knew love was not some game you played when you were 15. Love was supposed to be something adults do when they were mature and able to make rational decisions. I was scared of love. But once in a while we said hi to each other and I had an occasional clench in my stomach but I tried my level best to ignore it. Soon I forgot all about him. I focused on my studies, my piano classes, my painting lessons.
One day, a year after my first encounter with him, we met again. We were taking part in a music program together, with a 100 other children. I went to practice my song. He practiced his. Ok, before I say anything else, I have to tell you, I honestly suck at singing, and they forced me to sing in the band chorus. He on the other hand, is one of the best singers I know(and I'm not saying that because I have a crush on him). We met every hour or so in the corridors for the breaks. I couldn't help but feel a certain attraction for him. But no, I would not fall prey to this thing called love. I pushed my feelings for him to the back of my mind. As long as he didn't know what's going on in my mind, why bother.
I didn't bother. Musicadenza came, we sang, it was a hit, especially his song which was exceptional. I melted in my seat when I heard him sing. I wished I was not so chicken to face myself. But I termed love a disease and I needed an immunity vaccine.
So, there I was, after the program. It was around 7 pm. Almost everyone had gone home. I was still waiting for my parents. He was helping the teachers clear up the stage. I silently watched him. I wonder what it would have been like if we were together. My mind wandered. Until he caught my gaze. I snapped back to reality. He stopped his work and walked hesitantly to me. Was he as shy as I or was he just not sure of what I was doing? Whatever it was, next thing I knew, he was there standing next to me and I was holding my breath....

"Marita, hi. Want some company?" He says in that dreamy voice of his. I'm speechless.
"Hey, you ok?" I am savouring his words and I am engrossed in everything about him. I look at him. Blue shirt and jeans. He's wearing black sneakers. His hair is all spiked up. He's looking fucking sexy. His eyes search me for an answer. That's when his question registers in my mind. I say, "Hi. Yea. Sure." that's all I can formulate.
He sits next to me and we are quiet. No communication. I don't speak because I know that if I do, something stupid will come out. All my feelings for him in the past year come rushing back in those minutes. But I am quiet. Now you know why I'm known for my self control.
He breaks the still silence, "Listen, I want to tell you something. It may sound crazy to you. you may never talk to me again. You may have never thought of anything like this. But I can't keep it inside any longer" I anticipate what is coming, but never in my life did I predict what was actually on his mind. I thought it would be anything but what he said.
His voice comes down to a whisper, "I love you"
I don't breathe anymore. I can't think anymore. My heart has failed to beat. My mind has stopped working and he is looking at me, for a reaction to his words. No three words could be more powerful than those. No other person could ever make me feel so incredible with just that sentence.
I forget everything I thought about love. I'm overwhelmed by this feeling this boy has brought in me. I couldn't deny it any longer. This guy, who I was evading for so long, he was in love with me. He wanted me. It was an incredible feeling. I was overjoyed. So much so that, despite warnings from my mother and my brother, despite everything I have ever thought about love, I change. My actions surprise me. But I'm controlled by this new feeling of love.
He stands up to leave because I haven't talked to him at all. I stand up with him and say, "Jeet, wait." he turns and I look into his dark brown eyes, I can feel this longing to be his. And the inner force in me directs me toward him. I lift up my heels (he's tall!) and kiss him. Just like that. Without any warning to neither me nor him. I love that moment which will forever be in my mind. The kiss of my life.
He held me close to him and we were locked in the kiss for hours(it seems). "I love you, Jeet" I say in the end. The four most meaningful words I have ever said. That night we sat together, not many words, but a newly forged connection between us. We had an understanding. He knew what I felt.
Now, I know what I feel. It is love. And I'm not afraid. Love is magic. Its everywhere and if you're too scared to fall, you'll never know how wonderful it can be to find someone who thinks your thoughts. I didn't have to search much. My love came to me. But its not always that way, is it? Jeet has made me the happiest girl in the world, and vice versa. I'm so in love with him, I feel like im flying. Just the thought of him keeps me smiling for hours. When I see him, it's like a wave splashing over me. He is everything.
I know, I am only 15. Mom thinks I'm too young. But he showed me that I shouldn't back down from something as beautiful as us.

1 comment:

Samara said...

Mari...i feel rly gulty now!but i cudn't help it.i'm sooooo sorry!
will u ever forgive me???
i feel terrible now...if thats any consolation...
Jeet's one of the sweetest guy i know...i'm so happy for both of u!

i luv u alwaz...
your Psychic Sis