Saturday, March 11, 2006

Chachan.

This is a poem that i wrote. i'm a Malayali and the peom contains a few Malayalam words. I've included a glossary of all the words, translated into english. The poem is addressed to my grandfather, Prof. C.S. Abraham who passed away in 1999, when i was a young girl. He was a great man and a great basketballer. He played for the kerala state team, was a professional coach, and one of India's first international referees for the game. He also was a Phys. Ed. professor in the Trivandrum Medical College. I only hope that one day, maybe i can achieve a fraction of what he has, both as a wonderful person and as a basketballer.

Come back, come home.
Why did you leave?
I'm not ready yet,
Don't make me cry.
I just want to see you
one last time
To show you i love you
To show you me.
It's been too long
Can't bear it anymore
You left without goodbye and
I had to watch you leave.
Like an old song you float in my memories
But it is fading, gradually.
Do you see me?
I have grown, stronger, taller.
I see you in me,
I see your energy in everyone here.
I see your smile frozen in a picture
And i was next to you,
Us laughing together,
With you,I was so happy.
I awed you my Chachan.
If i could be with you now,
If i could be your little mol again;
I'd do anything
Just to walk with you in the field again
Or just to watch me score that basket.
I feel proud when they say,
"She's C.S. 's kochumol."
Come back.
Everyone wants you back,
Cisy, mon, Mary,
I want you back.
I don't want photographs,
I want to swing on your mundu.
I wish you could hold me.
Come back to me, my Chachan.
Don't leave without goodbye;
I miss you too much.


GLOSSARY

Chachan : father
Mol : daughter (pronounce "mole")
Mon : son (pronounce "moan")
Mundu : Long white or coloured cloth used by indian men as clothing to wrap around the waist. (pronounce "moon-du")
Kochumol : Granddaughter

1 comment:

Samara said...

i'm actually crying....but i guess thts no big deal since i cry all the time....but tht was rly touchin!