Sunday, June 11, 2006

Why I can't do what I want

I love to write. It's the only way I can honestly express myself. Everyone has their own passion don't they? Well, mine is writing.
remember when you were a kid and your parents friends ask you, "What do you want to be when you grow up? A doctor? An engineer?" I shunned the thought of being a doctor. The simple thought of blood made me nauseous. As far as being an engineer was concerned, everyone around me wanted to be an enginner. I never wanted what everyone else did.
" want to be a free spirit. I want to be unique. I want to do what i love. I want to be artistic" This was my answer to their questions. If i had expressed my feelings, they would have looked at me as if i was elvis back from his grave.
I kept writing, and as i grew older, i knew what i wanted. I wanted to be a journalist. It involved the things i enjoy: writing, travel and perhaps fame?
There is just one small problem. My parents when i was younger said, "be more focussed." Now they say, "keep your options open."
I really want to be a writer or journalist, now more that ever. But it seems, they have planned a different life for me. One with a degree in engineering, a job as a software engineer or an IFS officer, and happily married (arranged by them of course) with two kids(courstey my mother).
Yes, i am supposed to live a life they wanted to live. Not one i want to.
But i will think about my future. Maybe i'm too young to make my own decisions. That is what they seem to be implying anyway.
We'll see how it all goes.